Top tips for a great morning routine!
*Beep* Beep* *Beep* That's your morning alarm going off.
Do you reach for the snooze button? Or jump out of bed ready for the day? Is your morning hectic as you frantically rush around? Or are you cruising along feeling in charge of your day?
They say a solid morning routine reduces stress, sets you up for a more productive day and helps you stay on top of things. Sounds pretty great to me so sign me up!
It's important to remember that everyones morning routine will look different and it is not about doing the exact same things as your work colleague, bestie or family member. It is about finding what works for YOU so that you feel motivated, organised and ready for a great day ahead.
The biggest lesson I've learnt about morning routines is that it all comes down to being intentional and you running your day and not the other way around.
Be clear on what you want your morning to look like. Make a little schedule if that helps and then simply start! Remember, while it may feel a bit difficult to get the momentum going, after a week or two you will have formed some new habits and your routine will start to feel second nature.
Ideas on things to include in your morning routine?
- Start your day without going straight to your emails, messages, social media or watching TV. They are distractions that promote a reactive state of mind instead of an intention based one.
- Notice 3 things you are grateful for. You can simply think of them, say them out loud or write them in a notebook.
- Journal for a minute or two, heck go for 30 mins if you feel like it. Pop down any feelings, thoughts or ideas that come up for you. You can even scribble down notes or draw pictures. There is no right or wrong way to do it so have fun with it!
- Move your body in a way that feels great for you. You can stretch in your pj's, go for a walk, swim, dance away to a song or two in your lounge or hit the gym for a sweaty session.
- Swap that morning coffee for a herbal tea, lemon water or BEST OF ALL a shot of Ahi Cider and feel the difference!
- Breathe. Take a minute and enjoy some deep belly breathing and feel the calm wash over you.
- Make a healthy breakfast and enjoy each mouthful slowly without electronic distractions.
- Listen to some uplifting music or a podcast that interests you.
- Get up 10 minutes earlier and pack yourself a homemade lunch. Not only will your body thank you for it but so will your wallet!
- Read a book for a few minutes each morning and before you know it you'll be onto another one.
- Sit outside for a minute or two and enjoy the morning sun on your face.
- Create a plan for the day ahead. Maybe note down a few key things you would like to achieve or set any reminders if needed.
- Prep a few veggies for dinner so it's quick and easy to whip up when you got home from a big day.
- Hug your family and your pets, it always make me feel better.
- Make your bed. Honestly it makes a huge difference to your day. Try it!
Of course there are loads of other awesome things you can do and these are just a few ideas to get you started.
I hope this has got you thinking and please let us know what you incorporate into your morning routine. We always love hearing from you!
In GOOD health,